Kiss Alive 2 is the second live album by Kiss, recorded in 1977 with songs from Destroyer, Rock and Roll Over and Love Gun.
The performances came from The Forum, Los Angeles, Capital Theatre, Passaic, New Jersey and Budokan Hall, Tokyo, Japan.
I remember reading the reviews in the Sounds music paper by Geoff Barton where he raved about it and said that it was even better than Kiss Alive! and he loved that first album.
Kiss Alive 2
- Detroit Rock City – 3:58 (originally on the album Destroyer)
- King of the Night Time World – 3:06 (Destroyer)
- Ladies Room – 3:11 (Rock and Roll Over)
- Makin’ Love – 3:13 (Rock and Roll Over)
- Love Gun – 3:34 (Love Gun)
- Calling Dr. Love – 3:32 (Rock and Roll Over)
- Christine Sixteen – 2:45 (Love Gun)
- Shock Me – 5:51 (Love Gun)
- Hard Luck Woman – 3:06 (Rock and Roll Over)
- Tomorrow and Tonight – 3:20 (Love Gun)
- I Stole Your Love – 3:36 (Love Gun)
- Beth – 2:24 (Destroyer)
- God of Thunder – 5:16 (Destroyer)
- I Want You – 4:14 (Rock and Roll Over)
- Shout It Out Loud – 3:37 (Destroyer)
- All American Man – 3:13 (studio recording of a new song)
- Rockin’ in the U.S.A. – 2:44 (studio recording of a new song)
- Larger Than Life – 3:55 (studio recording of a new song)
- Rocket Ride – 4:07 (studio recording of a new song)
- Anyway You Want It – 2:33 (studio recording of the Dave Clark Five song)
This set list doesn’t duplicate any songs from their first live album – Kiss Alive. Instead we have five songs from Destroyer (1976), five from Rock and Roll Over (1976) and five from Love Gun (1977). We also have five new studio recordings.
This is a bit odd because it doesn’t represent a real concert recording.
This album captures Kiss doing what they do best – playing high energy rock songs live in front of an audience that loves them.
The band for Kiss Alive 2 was:
- Ace Frehley – lead guitar, vocals
- Paul Stanley – rhythm guitar, vocals
- Gene Simmons – bass, vocals
- Peter Criss – drums, vocals
Here are some videos of Kiss performing live in concert in 1977
Detroit Rock City
I Stole Your Love
Atmosphere and Authenticity
I struggle with this album more than the original Kiss Alive even though these songs comes from albums that were much more successful. The addition of the studio tracks gives more value but excluding the tracks from the first live album stops Alive 2 being an accurate representation of the concerts.
It’s good but it will always stand in the shadow of the first live album. Buy Kiss Alive! and if you love that, come back for this second helping.
What Other People Say
Buying Alive II by Kiss
To help you to find the album quickly and easily, I’ve given you the following links::
What Do You Think?
How well does this compare to Kiss Alive!
Is this the best live album by Kiss?
What Are The Best Live Albums Ever?
To help find the best live albums, I use readers polls.
Because there are so many great hard rock and heavy metal live albums I have split the poll into two and you may find some of your favourites in the second division. Albums will be promoted when they get enough votes.Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.
You may be interested in other hard rock artist polls – AC/DC – Aerosmith – Alice Cooper – Black Sabbath – Blue Oyster Cult – Deep Purple – Dream Theater – Gary Moore – Iron Maiden – Jimi Hendrix – Judas Priest – Led Zeppelin – Mott The Hoople – Ronnie James Dio – Rush – Ted Nugent – The Rolling Stones – Thin Lizzy – The Who –