Live At The Moody Theater is a double live album and DVD by the Warren Haynes Band.
It was recorded in Austin, Texas on November 3, 2011 while Haynes was promoting the Man In Motion studio album.
If the name Warren Haynes sounds familiar it will be from his associated as a lead guitarist and vocalist with Gov’t Mule, The Allman Brothers Band and The Grateful Dead. He’s also played with the Dave Matthews Band.
As a solo artist he plays a more soulful version of blues rock that he has done with Gov’t Mule and the Allman Brothers.
If you’re expecting an album dominated by guitar, you should know that the band features a female backing singer and a horn section with plenty of saxophone solos. There is still plenty of guitar but it’s much more of a balanced sound than many blues rock live albums.
Songs On Warren Haynes Live at the Moody Theater
- Man In Motion – 7:57 (originally on the Warren Haynes studio album Man In Motion)
- River’s Gonna Rise – 8:52 (Man In Motion)
- Sick Of My Shadow – 9:31 (Man In Motion)
- A Friend To You – 5:56 (Man In Motion)
- On A Real Lonely Night – 11:33 (Man In Motion)
- Invisible – 13:01 (from his first solo album Tales of Ordinary Madness)
- Take A Bullet – 5:21 (Man In Motion)
- Hattiesburg Hustle – 6:53 (Man In Motion)
- Everyday Will Be Like A Holiday – 10:15 (Man In Motion)
- Frozen Fear – 6:19
- Dreaming The Same Dream – 6:33
- Pretzel Logic – 11:54 (cover of the Steely Dan song)
- Fire In The Kitchen – 7:06 (Tales of Ordinary Madness)
- A Change Is Gonna Come – 6:57 (cover of the Sam Cooke song)
- Spanish Castle Magic – 6:49 (cover of the Jimi Hendrix song)
- WHB Intro – 3:06
- Tear Me Down – 8:49
- Your Wildest Dreams – 12:11
- Soulshine – 8:56 (the Allmans classic written by Haynes)
This album is superb and is one of my favourites. Expect a rating of 28 or even 29 out of 30 when I do the full review. I couldn’t stop playing it but I’m wary of rushing to judgement too quickly on the albums at the very top of my ratings.
If you’re a regular reader, you’ll know that I have a weakness for the combination of guitar and saxophone so this fits me like a glove. I also love the sound of excellent female backing singer who helps to enrich the sound.
It’s tough to choose just a few videos from the concert to share with you with these will give you a taste of what to expect.
Rivers Gonna Rise
Hattiesburg Hustle which features guest star Ian McLagan from The Faces.
Buying Warren Haynes Live at the Moody Theater
These links will help you get to the albums quickly and easily but I recommend that you still search for the best deal.
What Do You Think?
Is this a great live album?
Is it the best live album by Warren Haynes or Gov’t Mule?
The Best Live Albums Of All Time
Please vote in the poll to find the best blues rock live albums.
If You Like This…
You may also be interested in these other readers polls for other blues rock groups and artists – The Allman Brothers Band –Climax Blues Band – Derek Trucks & Susan Tedeschi – Jimi Hendrix – Johnny Winter – Rory Gallagher – Stevie Ray Vaughan –
You can see the complete list of readers polls at Live Album Polls