I have started to share my five favourite live albums from each music genres on the main polls to help to inspire or challenge you to clarify your views.
I have two simple rules:
- Desert island discs – these are chosen as if I could only have five live albums from each genre.
- Where albums cross genres, I have the freedom to select which genre I’m using for an album but I’m not going to pick an album twice.
This is a hard exercise. Sadly I’m going to miss out on some great live albums but the music here is superb.
If you want to understand my thinking or vote in the polls and see the popular results, click on the links provided.
My lists are not in any order of preference. It was tough enough to narrow the choice down to five albums.
- David Bowie Live Nassau Coliseum ’76
- Bill Nelson Live At The Metropolis Studio
- Roxy Music Live
- Supertramp Live In Paris ’79
- Frank Zappa You Can’t Do That On Stage Anymore Vol 2 (Helsinki)
- Van Morrison It’s Too Late To Stop Now
- Jess Roden Live At The BBC
- Fleetwood Mac Boston
- The Rolling Stones The Brussels Affair 1973
- Jimi Hendrix Live At Berkeley
My choice of five albums are:
- Bruce Springsteen – 1978 Agora Cleveland
- Wings – Wings Over America
- Wishbone Ash – Live Dates
- David Bowie – David Live
Hard Rock & Heavy metal Live Albums
- Made In Japan by Deep Purple.
- Live At Leeds by The Who.
- The Blues To The Bush by The Who
- Strangers In The Night by UFO.
- Live & Dangerous by Thin Lizzy
Indie Rock & Alternative Rock Live Albums
- Echo & The Bunnymen Live At The Royal Albert Hall 1983
- Pixies Live At Vredenburg 1990
- The Smiths Rank 1986
- The Waterboys The Live Adventures Of The Waterboys 1986
- Genesis Seconds Out
- Traffic The Last Great Traffic Jam
- Van Der Graaf Generator Real Time
- Yes Yessongs
- Van Morrison Astral Weeks: Live At The Hollywood Bowl
- Neil Young Live Rust
- Bob Dylan Live 1975 The Rolling Thunder Revue
- Joan Armatrading Live At The Royal Albert Hall
- Randy Newman Live In London