Glam Rock (sometimes called Glitter Rock) took the rock stars out of their denims and into outrageous costumes, platform boots and make-up on their faces in the early 1970s.
Bands and artists that can be considered glam rock include Marc Bolan & T Rex, David Bowie, Gary Glitter & the Glitter Band, Sweet, Slade, Roxy Music, Sparks, Suzi Quattro, Lou Reed and the New York Dolls.
Classic Glam Rock Studio Albums
- David Bowie – Ziggy Stardust and Aladdin Sane.
- Marc Bolan & T Rex – Electric Warrior, The Slide, Tanx
- Roxy Music – self titled debut, For Your Pleasure
- New York Dolls – self titled debut
- Lou Reed – Transformer
- Slade – Slayed
- Sweet – Sweet Fanny Adams
- Sparks – Kimono My House
The Best Glam Rock Live Albums
Unfortunately some of the best glam rock artists don’t have live albums that can be included.
Perhaps Slade’s first live album Alive! shouldn’t be included. It’s more of a hard rock live album but it seemed strange to include Alive 2 without the first one.