Live At Rockpalast 1978 & 1980 is a live album by Graham Parker and the Rumour.
The album features two live performances by the band:
- WDR Studio L in Cologne on 23.01.1978
- Grugahalle in Essen on 18.10.1980
This contrasts the two styles of the band. The first features a horn section and is similar to the early studio albums like Howlin’ Wind and Heat Treatment.
There is a DVD which is sold separately.
Average Amazon Customer Rating – %%AVERAGERATING%% Stars
Songs On Graham Parker Live At Rockpalast 1978 & 1980
CD 1 – Live at WDR Studio L Cologne, 23.01.1978
- Heat Treatment – 3:31 (originally on the studio album Heat Treatment)
- White Honey – 3:07 (Howlin’ Wind)
- Soul On Ice – 3:12 (Stick To Me)
- Back to Schooldays – 2:54 (Howlin’ Wind)
- Heat in Harlem – 8:03 (Stick To Me)
- Fool’s Gold – 4:29 (Heat Treatment)
- Watch the Moon Come Down – 3:36 (Stick To Me)
- Thunder and Rain – 5:43 (Stick To Me)
- Stick to Me – 3:32 (Stick To Me)
- I’m Gonna Tear Your Playhouse Down – 3:46 (Stick To Me)
- Don’t Ask Me Questions – 5:22 (Howlin’ Wind)
- Not If It Pleases Me – 2:55 (Howlin’ Wind)
- The New York Shuffle – 3:37 (Stick To Me)
- Soul Shoes – 3:23 (Howlin’ Wind)
- Hold Back the Night – 3:03 (a hit single in the UK from the Pink Parker EP later added to Heat Treatment as a bonus)
7 songs from their latest album Stick To Me with 5 from Howlin’ Wind and just 2 from Heat Treatment.
CD 2 Live at Grugahalle Essen, 18.10.1980
Stupefaction – 3:37 (originally on the studio album The Up Escalator)
No Holding Back – 3:20 (The Up Escalator)
Jolie Jolie – 3:13 (The Up Escalator)
Love Without Greed – 3:38 (The Up Escalator)
Discovering Japan – 3:38 (Squeezing Out The Sparks)
Passion Is No Ordinary Word – 4:40 (Squeezing Out The Sparks)
Howlin’ Wind – 4:24 (Howlin’ Wind)
Thunder and Rain – 3:08 (Stick To Me)
Manoeuvres – 3:40 (The Up Escalator)
Don’t Get Excited – 3:51 (Squeezing Out The Sparks)
Beating of Another Heart – 4:23 (The Up Escalator)
Empty Lives – 5:12 (The Up Escalator)
Devil’s Sidewalk – 3:21 (The Up Escalator)
Endless Night – 4:49 (The Up Escalator)
(Can’t Get No) Protection – 4:28 (Squeezing Out The Sparks)
Nobody Hurts You – 3:40 (Squeezing Out The Sparks)
Don’t Ask Me Questions – 5:34 (Howlin’ Wind)
Tripe Face Boogie – 2:57 (cover of Little Feat song only on this album)
Soul Shoes – 3:26 (Howlin’ Wind)
9 songs from The Up Escalator and 5 from Squeezing Out The Sparks mean a big change in the setlists between the two concerts. While I’d quibble about how poorly the excellent Heat Treatment album has been covered, it means that taken together, it’s a good summary of Graham Parker & The Rumour.
Buying Graham Parker Live At Rockpalast 1978 & 1980
One Amazon reviewer reports problems ripping the second CD to create mp3s and several disc drives were tried. This is frustrating and may influence your choice over format unless autorip is included.
It is available from Amazon.com – Amazon.co.uk – iTunes – eBay
These links will help you get to the albums quickly and easily but I recommend that you still search for the best deal.
What do you think?
Is this the best live album by Graham Parker & The Rumour?
The Best Live Albums Of All Time
Please vote in the poll to find the best early R&B and rock & roll live albums.
You can get these albums from Amazon.com – Amazon.co.uk.
You can see the complete list of readers polls at Live Album Polls