It’s Too Late To Stop Now Volumes 2, 3 & 4 is a live album by Van Morrison.
This brings us more concert recordings from his 1973 tour that was the source for the original It’s Too Late To Stop Now. The original album picked tracks from:
- The Troubadour, Los Angeles, California,
- Santa Monica Civic Auditorium, Santa Monica, California,
- Rainbow Theatre, London, England.
Volumes 2, 3 and 4 provides previously missing tracks from these venues on the following nights:
- The Troubadour, Los Angeles, May 23, 1973,
- Santa Monica Civic, California, June 29, 1973,
- The Rainbow, London, July 23 & 24, 1973.
There is also the option to buy a version with a DVD of the highlights from the London show at The Rainbow on July 24, 1973.
I’ve been a Van Morrison fan for 40 years and I’ve long recognised that It’s Too Late To Stop Now is a terrific live album but could be criticised for:
- Not being long enough – it is just 92 minutes long which is good but not Springsteen-esque.
- It didn’t feature enough of Van Morrison’s own songs as there were 7 covers and 11 Van Morrison originals.
Volumes 2, 3 and 4 puts an end to those complaints.
Average Amazon Customer Rating – %%AVERAGERATING%% Stars From %%REVIEWCOUNT%% Reviews
Songs On Van Morrison It’s Too Late To Stop Now Volumes 2, 3 & 4
No content is duplicated from the original version but volumes 2, 3 and 4 includes a mixture of alternative versions and new songs.
I’ve marked the songs that appear for the first time so that, if you have the original and you want to download the new tracks, it’s easy for you to identify.
Brown Eyed Girl was not included in the original version of It’s Too Late To Stop Now but has been added as a bonus to the 2008 version of the CD. As it wasn’t on my copy, I’m treating it as new.
Disc 1 – Live at the Troubadour
- Come Running – 2:55 (new) (original on the Moondance studio album)
- These Dreams of You – 3:35 (new) (Moondance)
- The Way Young Lovers Do – 4:11 (new) (Astral Weeks)
- Snow in San Anselmo – 4:35 (new) (Hard Nose The Highway)Love to You – 3:37 (version 2)
- Bring It on Home to Me – 3:58 (version 2)
- Purple Heather – 5:22 (new) (Hard Nose The Highway – cover of traditional song)
- Hey, Good Lookin’ – 2:13 (new)
- Bein’ Green – 4:54 (new) (Hard Nose The Highway – cover of Joe Raposo song written for Kermit the Frog)
- Brown Eyed Girl – 3:30 (new)
- Listen to the Lion – 9:07 (version 2) (Saint Dominic’s Preview)
- Hard Nose the Highway – 5:01 (new) (Hard Nose The Highway)
- Moondance – 5:09 (new) (Moondance)
- Cyprus Avenue – 8:45 (version 2) (Astral Weeks)
- Caravan – 8:46 (version 2) (Moondance)
- I’ve Been Working – 3:57 (version 2) (His Band and the Street Choir)
- There There Child – 3:16 (new)
- No Way – 3:48 (new)
- Since I Fell for You – 4:29 (new)
- Wild Night – 4:25 (new) (Tupelo Honey)
- I Paid the Price – 4:45 (new)
- Domino – 4:11 (version 2) (His Band and the Street Choir)
- Gloria – 3:14 (version 2)
- Buona Sera – 2:42 (new)
- Moonshine Whiskey – 6:51 (new) (Tupelo Honey)
- Ain’t Nothing You Can Do – 3:05 (version 2)
- Take Your Hand Out of My Pocket – 3:20 (version 2)
- Sweet Thing – 4:43 (new) (Astral Weeks)
- Into the Mystic – 4:30 (version 2) (Moondance)
- I Believe to My Soul – 3:36 (new)
- Listen to the Lion – 7:51 (version 3) (Saint Dominic’s Preview)
- I Paid the Price – 5:45 (new version 2)
- Bein’ Green – 4:47 (new version 2) (Hard Nose The Highway)
- Since I Fell for You – 4:24 (new version 2)
- Into the Mystic – 4:58 (version 3) (Moondance)
- Everyone – 3:22 (new) (Moondance)
- I Believe to My Soul – 3:29 (new version 2)
- Sweet Thing – 5:50 (new version 2) (Astral Weeks)
- I Just Want to Make Love to You – 5:32 (version 3)
- Wild Children – 4:45 (version 2) (Hard Nose The Highway)
- Here Comes the Night – 3:21 (version 2)
- Buona Sera – 2:39 (new version 2)
- Domino – 4:21 (version 3) (His Band and the Street Choir)
- Caravan – 8:32 (version 3) (Moondance)
- Cyprus Avenue – 8:15 (version 3) (Astral Weeks)
I gave the original album a rating of 28 out of 30. This deserves at least the same and might get 29 which will equal the highest I’ve given to any album.
I’m surprised that the excellent Saint Dominic’s Preview isn’t repeated from the original album and there are a stack of songs from Morrison’s studio albums up to 1973 that’s I’d love to hear played live by him in his prime.
Even after another three CDs worth of excellence, I’m still hungry for much more live Van Morrison.
If you click on the Amazon reviews, please use Right Click – Open Link In New Tab because it is hard to get back to this page.
Buying Van Morrison It’s Too Late To Stop Now Volumes 2, 3 & 4
These links will help you get to the albums quickly and easily but I recommend that you still search for the best deal.
What Do You Think?
Is this a great live album?
Is it the best live album by Van Morrison? Which do you recommend?
The Best Live Albums Of All Time
The album is featured in two of my genre polls as it’s a combination of blues rock and R&B.
Please vote in the poll to find the best blues rock live albums.
Please also vote in the poll to find the best early R&B and rock & roll live albums.
You can see the complete list of readers polls at Live Album Polls.