Live is a live album by the short-lived supergroup Beck Bogert & Appice. It is also known as Live In Japan and was recorded at the Koseinenkin Hall in Osaka on May 18 and 19, 1973.
Average Amazon Customer Rating – %%AVERAGERATING%% Stars
Songs On Beck Bogert & Appice Live In Japan
- Superstition (Cover of the Stevie Wonder song, originally on the Beck, Bogert & Appice studio album)
- Lose Myself With You (Beck, Bogert & Appice)
- Jeff’s Boogie (cover of The Yardbird’s song)
- Going Down
- Boogie (only on this album)
- Morning Dew (from the first Jeff Beck Group album Truth)
- Sweet Sweet Surrender (Beck, Bogert & Appice)
- Livin’ Alone (Beck, Bogert & Appice)
- I’m So Proud (the Curtis Mayfield song first covered on Beck, Bogert & Appice)
- Lady (Beck, Bogert & Appice)
- Black Cat Moan (Beck, Bogert & Appice)
- Why Should I Care (Beck, Bogert & Appice)
- Plynth/Shotgun (Medley) (Plynth is from the second Jeff Beck Group album Beck-Ola)
The only song missing from the Beck, Bogert & Appice studio is Oh To Love You.
This is a very demographic album. Those wanting lots of blistering guitar solos from Jeff Beck will be satisfied to some extent but might moan about too much space being given to Tim Bogert and Carmine Appice.
I like it and it also features the talk box guitar effect of making the guitar sound about to sing the lyrics. The group show plenty of promise and it’s a shame that they didn’t go on to make more albums. Tim Bogert’s vocals are satisfactory but the band may have benefited from having their own Roger Daltrey, Robert Plant or Ian Gillan.
Buying Beck Bogert & Appice Live In Japan
This isn’t the easiest of albums to find at a good price so I recommend that you search around these websites and try Live and Live In Japan. I eventually gave in and paid the price to import it from Japan but I ummed and arrghed for a long time.
What Do You Think?
Is this live album a classic? Jeff Beck has a great reputation as a lead guitarist but is there enough evidence for rock and blues fans to justify such a reputation?
This is the only live album we have (so far) of Jeff Beck as a rocker since no archive albums have been released for the Jeff Beck Group with or without Rod Stewart.
What Are The All Time Best Live Albums?
Because there are so many great hard rock and heavy metal live albums I have split the poll into two and you may find some of your favourites in the second division. Albums will be promoted when they get enough votes.
I also have the blues rock live album poll
You can see the complete list of readers polls at Live Album Poll