Live: Soul Of A Man is a live album by Al Kooper, founder member of Blood, Sweat & Tears and The Blues Project.
It was recorded at The Bottom Line club in New York City on February 4,5 and 6 1994.
Kooper is performing with three different bands, Blood, Sweat & Tears disguised as Child Is Father To The Man, Blues Project and his own band, the Rekooperators. I don’t know if he played a night with each or the bands shuffled on and off the stage. On the album, the songs are interspersed without any jarring changes.
My rating – 28 out of 30 (10 + 9 +9)
Average Amazon Customer Rating – %%AVERAGERATING%% Stars
Songs On Al Kooper Live Soul Of A Man
- Somethin’ Goin’ On (Child Is Father To The Man) 7:35
- I Can’t Keep From Cryin’ Sometimes (Blues Project) 4:30
- I Stand Alone Medley: I Stand Alone/I Can Love A Woman/New York City (The Rekooperators) 6:21
- Flute Thing (Blues Project) 8:52
- Don’t Tell Me (Repo Man) (The Rekooperators) 3:46
- Two Trains Runnin’ (Blues Project) 11:36
- Heartbeat (The Rekooperators) 5:05
- Sleepwalk (The Rekooperators) 2:59
- Just One Smile (Child Is Father To The Man) 6:08
- I Can’t Quit Her (Child Is Father To The Man) 3:55
- I Want A Little Girl (The Rekooperators) 5:10
- My Days Are Numbered (Child Is Father To The Man) 5:52
- I Love You More Than You’ll Ever Know (Child Is Father To The Man) 7:13
- Spoken Intro by Al Kooper 1:15
- Made In The Shade (The Rekooperators) 5:07
- Downtime (The Rekooperators) 4:38
Violets of Dawn (Blues Project) 3:41
- Albert’s Shuffle (The Rekooperators) 7:17
- Closing Medley: You Can’t Always Get What You Want/Season Of The Witch/Al’s Witch Hunt (The Rekooperators) 12:38
Five songs from Child Is Father To The Man (all from the album of the same name), four from Blues Project and nine from The Rekooperators.
Season Of The Witch and Albert’s Shuffle come from the album Super Session with Mike Bloomfield and Stephen Stills.
You Can’t Always Get What You Want by The Rolling Stones features because Kooper played on the original recording on Let It Bleed.
This is Al Kooper’s only live album as a solo artist and it is super classy. I don’t know much about Al Kooper which in hindsight is a mistake that I intend to rectify.
This is extremely well played and I’d say that Kooper’s singing is fine but sometimes it feels a bit strained and it costs the album a point in my performance rating.
The quality of the sound recording is excellent. There’s one mark down on the authenticity scale. After performing at the concerts, fellow ex Blues Project and Blood, Sweat & Tear member Steve Katz refused to have his guitar feature in the recording. His playing had to be replaced in the studio by Jimmy Vivino on the Blues Project and Child Is Father To The Man tracks.
I’m giving this a rating of 28 out of 30. That’s 10 for the set list, 9 for the performance and 9 for authenticity. Since the highest mark I’ve ever given is 29, this makes Soul Of A Man one of the finest live albums I’ve ever heard.
If you like soulful, bluesy, jazzy classic rock, then I strongly recommend that you listen to the digital samples available on iTunes or Amazon. I think you’ll be as astonished as I was when I first heard it.
Buying Al Kooper Live Soul Of A Man
It is available from Amazon.com – Amazon.co.uk – iTunes – eBay
These links will help you get to the albums quickly and easily but I recommend that you still search for the best deal.
What Do You Think?
Is this a great live album?
This is a hard album to classify because it brings together so many different styles from blues, jazz, soul and rock. In some ways, it reminds me of Joe Cocker’s great live album Mad Dogs And Englishmen.
I argued that the Cocker album belonged in my “early R&B” category which also includes Rock & Roll. While this is a long way from Jerry lee Lewis or Little Richard, it reflects a time of musical fusion and refusing to accept barriers between different genres..
The Best Live Albums Of All Time
I can also argue that Live Soul Of A Man is classic rock because that’s another catch all category that avoids the single minded focus of other categories.
Please vote in the poll to find the best classic rock live albums.
Because there are so many excellent classic rock live albums I have split the poll into two and you may find some of your favourites in the second division. Albums will be promoted when they get enough votes.
You may be interested in the polls for other classic rock artists like The Beach Boys – The Beatles (group & solo) – David Bowie – Deep Purple Former Members – Bob Dylan – Elton John – Fleetwood Mac – Sting & The Police – Bruce Springsteen – Neil Young –
You can see the complete list of readers polls at Live Album Polls