Live Rust is a live album by Neil Young recorded in 1978 and used in the film Rust Never Sleeps.
I get confused with how Live Rust fits in with the Rust Never Sleeps album which was also partially recorded live at San Francisco’s Cow’s Palace and later had the audience noise removed.
Live Rust starts with an acoustic set and climaxes with an all-out electric rave. That worked particularly well on a double LP where you could choose which version of Neil Young you wanted.
Controversially the album was squeezed on to a single CD by editing out about 90 seconds of guitar from Cortez The Killer. This horrifies purists but I don’t think it is noticeable when you listen to it.
Neil Young Live Rust
Set List Rating 10/10
- Sugar Mountain – 5:02 (originally the B side of The Loner and first released on an album on the compilation Decade)
- I Am a Child – 3:01 (on the Buffalo Springfield album last Time Around)
- Comes a Time – 3:15 (Comes a Time)
- After the Gold Rush – 3:49 (After the Gold Rush)
- My My, Hey Hey (Out of the Blue) – 4:12 (Rust Never Sleeps)
- When You Dance I Can Really Love – 3:42 (After the Gold Rush)
- The Loner – 4:53 (from the album Neil Young)
- The Needle and the Damage Done – 3:06 (Harvest)
- Lotta Love – 2:51 (Comes a Time)
- Sedan Delivery – 4:50 (Rust Never Sleeps)
- Powderfinger – 5:43 (Rust Never Sleeps)
- Cortez the Killer – 6:19 (Zuma)
- Cinnamon Girl – 3:22 (Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere)
- Like a Hurricane – 8:03 (American Stars’n’Bars)
- Hey Hey, My My (Into the Black) – 4:37 (Rust Never Sleeps)
- Tonight’s the Night – 7:12 (Tonight’s the Night)
This is an excellent selection of Neil Young songs to represent his career up to the end of the seventies. My only possible complaint is that it could be longer. Young has written so many great songs that it’s easy to think of extra songs you’d love to have included.
Four of the nine tracks from Rust Never Sleeps are repeated here.
Review to be extended.
Here are a few videos I found on YouTube of Neil Young performing live in concert in or around 1978.
Like A Hurricane – fantastic – possibly my favourite Neil Young song of all time.
Hey Hey My My Into The Black
Atmosphere & Authenticity Rating
Review to be extended.
I hadn’t spotted this myself when I moved from vinyl to CD but it seems that Cortez The Killer has lost some of its guitar solo. The album was just too long to fit on one CD so a choice had to be made. Make it a double CD with extra cost, lose a track of edit one of the existing long tracks.
I know there are songs that were performed live that haven’t been released so I’m hopeful that Live Rust will get the deluxe treatment and be extended at some time. This is important musical history.
I dock a point for the editing. While I hadn’t noticed the missing minutes, now I know, I want them back.
Overall Rating For Live Rust by Neil Young
What Others Say About Live Rust
Live Rust is one of the most critically acclaimed live albums and regularly appears on the greatest live albums ever lists.
- NME – 2nd
- Q – 2006 – 3rd
- IGN – 4th
- Slate Readers Poll – 6th
- Chordstrike.com – 11th
- Stylus – 18th
- DigitalDreamDoor.com – 21st
- Rolling Stone – included in the Top 25
Reviewers at Amazon are also enthusiastic.
Buying Live Rust By Neil Young
To help you to find the album quickly and easily, I’ve given you the following links::
What Do You Think About Live Rust by Neil Young?
Do you think Live Rust deserves its reputation as one of the greatest live albums?
What Are The Best Live Albums Ever?
Please help me find the best live albums by voting in my readers polls:
Because there are so many excellent classic rock live albums I have split the poll into two and you may find some of your favourites in the second division. Albums will be promoted when they get enough votes.
You can see the complete list of readers polls at Live Album Polls