Familiar To Millions is the first official live album by Oasis. It was recorded at Wembley Stadium in London in July 2000.
My Overall Rating 21/30
Average Amazon Customer Rating – %%AVERAGERATING%% Stars
Set List – 7/10
- Fuckin’ in the Bushes – 3:04 (originally on the album Standing on the Shoulder of Giants – this is the intro tape)
- Go Let It Out – 5:32 (Standing on the Shoulder of Giants)
- Who Feels Love? – 5:59 (Standing on the Shoulder of Giants)
- Supersonic – 4:30 (Definitely Maybe)
- Shakermaker – 5:13 (Definitely Maybe)
- Acquiesce – 4:18 (the B side to their first #1 UK single Some Might Say)
- Step Out – 4:05 (the B side to Don’t Look Back in Anger)
- Gas Panic! – 8:01 (Standing on the Shoulder of Giants)
- Roll with It – 4:43 ((What’s the Story) Morning Glory?)
- Stand by Me – 5:49 (Be Here Now)
- Wonderwall – 4:34 ((What’s the Story) Morning Glory?)
- Cigarettes & Alcohol – 6:53 (Definitely Maybe)
- Don’t Look Back in Anger – 5:09 ((What’s the Story) Morning Glory?)
- Live Forever – 4:52 (Definitely Maybe)
- Hey Hey, My My (Into the Black)– 3:45 (cover of the Neil Young song)
- Champagne Supernova” – 6:31 ((What’s the Story) Morning Glory?)
- Rock ‘n’ Roll Star” – 6:19 (Definitely Maybe)
- Helter Skelter – 6:32 (cover of The Beatles song)
I must admit that I’m one of the people that Oasis should have broken up after their second album, (What’s The Story) Morning Glory and had a glorious reputation for updating the sound of The Beatles with the dangerous attitude of The Rolling Stones and the aggression of The Who live in concert.
With five songs from Definitely Maybe and four from Morning Glory plus Acquiesce the set draws heavily on the early Oasis tracks so I shouldn’t complain too much about the later filler.
Performance – 7/10
It’s loud and noisy, whatever the volume.
Unfortunately I feel that it has lost something as the band look for a stadium filling live sound.
Liam Gallagher was never a great singer but what voice he did have, has deserted him. The coarseness suits his vulgar mouth. If you’re offended by the f and c word, avoid this album. I felt the swearing was unnecessary and irritating.
The rest of the group sound tight although it feels too much like a wall of sound. The little boys have tuned the amps up to max and want to make as much noise as possible.
Don’t Look Back In Anger
Atmosphere & Authenticity – 7/10
On the plus side, this is a one concert live album rather than pulled from many gigs on a tour, or even worse from many tours over the years.
I haven’t read that it has been doctored in the studio and it doesn’t sound or feel as if it has.
On the negative. the Oasis live album is recorded four or five years too late. There are few bands who have shot up to commercial and critical success so quickly, released two excellent studio albums and then faded away.
Overall Rating For Familiar To Millions – 21/30
21/30 feels about right. It’s interesting for keen Oasis fans and a nice souvenir if you were at Wembley stadium that day. I’m hoping that there’s a much better live album waiting to be released from the archives.
Casual Oasis fans should just stick to the first two studio albums, Definitely Maybe and (What’s The Story) Morning Glory. Both of those have a lot to recommend them and if something makes me want to listen to Oasis, they are where I go to first.
What Others Say About Oasis Familiar To Millions
Oasis are ignored by the critics on the lists of best live albums.
Buying This Oasis Live Album
It’s also available as a DVD so you can see them as well as hear them if you want.
What Do You Think About Familiar To Millions?
You can see that I’m not keen and believe that live worsens rather than enhances Oasis.
Do you agree with me or do you believe that Familiar To Millions is one of the best live albums around?
Or is there a better Oasis live DVD that would show people why Oasis deserved their success in the mid nineties?
Let me know by leaving a comment below.
What Are The Best Live Albums Of All Time
Please vote in my poll to find the best indie and alternative rock live albums.
Because this is such a big category and there are so many very good indie and alternative rock live albums, I have split the poll into two and you may find some of your favourites in the second division. Albums will be promoted when they get enough votes.
You may also be interested in the poll to find the best new wave and punk rock live albums.
You can see the complete list of readers polls at Live Album Polls.