Live Jam is a live compilation album by new wave group The Jam. It was recorded between 1979 and 1982.
Shortly after The Jam’s first live album, Dig The New Breed came their second with a much wider collection of songs.
Unfortunately it is again compiled from different gigs in different times of the band’s evolution. This is frustrating as I feel I am still deprived of the proper experience of The Jam live.
The Jam Live Jam
Average Amazon Customer Rating – %%AVERAGERATING%% Stars
- The Modern World – 2.25 (This Is The Modern World)
- Billy Hunt – 2.56 (All Mod Cons)
- Thick as Thieves – 3.27 (Setting Sons)
- Burning Sky – 3.06 (Setting Sons)
- Mr Clean – 3.23 (All Mod Cons)
- Smithers-Jones – 2.47 (Setting Sons)
- Little Boy Soldiers – 2.47 (Setting Sons)
- Eton Rifles – 3.28 (Setting Sons)
- Away from the Numbers – 3.29 (In The City)
- Down in the Tube Station at Midnight – 4.07 (All Mod Cons)
- Strange Town – 3.35 (single)
- When You’re Young – 3.12 (single)
- A Bomb in Wardour Street – 2.49 (All Mod Cons)
- Pretty Green – 2.58 (Sound Affects)
- Boy About Town – 1.55 (Sound Affects)
- Man In The Corner Shop – 3.01 (Sound Affects)
- David Watts – 2.30 (All Mod Cons)
- Funeral Pyre – 3.25 (single)
- Move On Up – 2.38 (cover of the Curtis Mayfield song)
- Carnation – 3.11 (The Gift)
- The Butterfly Collector – 3.00
- Precious – 5.32 (The Gift)
- Town Called Malice – 3.03 (The Gift)
- Heat Wave – 3.00 (Setting Sons)
Live Jam fills in many of the obvious gaps from Dig The New Breed. In that way, it is to be commended but I feel that the live Jam albums have not been well considered.
It’s time for Paul Weller to organise a better job that gives much more insight into the progression of The Jam as a live act.
I said on Dig The New Breed “Raucous, loud, rough, intense.”
You wouldn’t expect the songs to be extended with long solos and for the band to get into the groove, would you?
Atmosphere & Authenticity
It’s that live compilation problem again.
In my opinion this beats Dig The New Breed because the set list has more of The Jam songs I want to hear.
Neither is definitive but I guess you could buy both, load them onto your ipod as one album, perhaps “The Live Jam Experience” and see where that takes you.
What Others Say About Live Jam
Not much to be honest. Again I haven’t seen it appear in any of the big surveys of the best live albums lists and there’s not much on Amazon.
Buying Live Jam
What Do You Think About Live Jam?
Do you think this is a better album than Dig The New Breed?
If so, why?
Do you agree with me that it’s a shame that The Jam have been deprived of some definitive live albums? What is the best live album by The Jam.
What Are The Best Live Albums Of All Time?
Please vote in my poll to find the best punk and new wave live albums
And for the best power pop live albums.
I also think of them as a classic rock band so you can also vote in the poll to find the best classic rock live albums.
Because there are so many excellent classic rock live albums I have split the poll into two and you may find some of your favourites in the second division. Albums will be promoted when they get enough votes.
You may also be interested in the poll to find the best indie rock and alternative rock live albums.
You can see the complete list of readers polls at Live Album Polls