Before The Flood celebrates Bob Dylan and The Band on tour in 1974 before his Blood On The Tracks album. I think there is an argument that this album helped return Dylan to form after a few years in the wilderness.
It’s an interesting album that has three parts:
- Bob Dylan & The Band
- Bob Dylan on his own
- The Band on its own
Bob Dylan Before The Flood
- Most Likely You Go Your Way – 4:15 (both)
- Lay Lady Lay – 3:14 (both)
- Rainy Day Women #12 & 35 – 3:27 (both)
- Knockin’ on Heaven’s Door – 3:51 (both)
- It Ain’t Me, Babe – 3:40 (both)
- Ballad of a Thin Man – 3:41 (both)
- Up on Cripple Creek – 5:25 (the Band)
- I Shall Be Released – 3:50 (the Band)
- Endless Highway – 5:10 (the Band)
- The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down – 4:24 (the Band)
- Stage Fright – 4:45 (the Band)
- Don’t Think Twice, It’s All Right – 4:36 (Dylan acoustic)
- Just Like A Woman – 5:06 (Dylan acoustic)
- It’s Alright, Ma (I’m Only Bleeding) – 5:48 (Dylan acoustic)
- The Shape I’m In – 4:01 (the Band)
- When You Awake – 3:13 (the Band)
- The Weight – 4:47 – 3:07 (the Band)
- All Along the Watchtower – 3:07 (both)
- Highway 61 Revisited – 4:27 (both)
- Like a Rolling Stone – 7:09 (both)
- Blowin’ in the Wind – 4:30 (both)
That’s ten songs by Bob Dylan and The Band, eight songs by The Band and three songs by Bob Dylan on his own.
My Overall Thoughts
It’s always interesting to listen to Bob Dylan live and I have a lot of his live albums because of the wide variations in performances. This is a good album but there are better albums that give you a purer Dylan experience.
This is important because he got Dylan back into live performances after a fallow period where he struggled to live up to his own reputation.
What Other People Say About Before The Flood
This album appears regularly on the greatest live album lists.
In particular it has featured as
- Slate Readers Poll – 9th
- Rolling Stone – in theTop 25
- NME – 29
- DigitalDreamDoor.com – 35
Buying Before The Flood by Bob Dylan And The Band
To help you to find the album quickly and easily, I’ve given you the following links::
What Do You Think About Before The Flood?
Do you think that Before The Flood is the best Bob Dylan live album?
Do you have any particular points to make about this album and why you like it or why you think that it is overrated? Please leave me a comment below.
Other Bob Dylan Live Albums
Live 1964, Concert at Philharmonic Hall – Live 1966, The “Royal Albert Hall” Concert – Live 1975, The Rolling Thunder Revue – Before the Flood – Hard Rain – At Budokan – Real Live – Dylan & The Dead – MTV Unplugged
What Are The Best Live Albums Ever?
I ask readers to help me to find the best live albums by voting in polls.
The most relevant to Before The Flood are:
Because there are so many excellent classic rock live albums I have split the poll into two and you may find some of your favourites in the second division. Albums will be promoted when they get enough votes.
You may be interested in the polls for other classic rock artists like Bad Company – The Beach Boys – The Beatles (group & solo) – Dave Matthews Band – David Bowie – Dire Straits – Elton John – Fleetwood Mac – Jethro Tull – Pink Floyd – Queen – Rush – Sting & The Police – The Rolling Stones – Bruce Springsteen – Thin Lizzy – U2 – The Who – Wishbone Ash – Neil Young –
If you like Dylan, I think you’ll also be interested in the Best singer songwriter albums poll.
You can see the complete list of readers polls at Live Album Polls