Rock Of Ages is the first live album recorded by The Band from shows at the Academy of Music in New York City December 28 to 31, 1971.
I think this is a much better album than the more famous live album The Last Waltz which captured an all-star cast at The Band’s last gig.
The Band Rock Of Ages
The Band Rock Of Ages Set List
In 2001 the album was remastered and extended with ten extra songs added included four songs of Bob Dylan performing with The Band.
- Introduction by Robbie Robertson – 1:22
- Don’t Do It – 5:00 (cover version of Marvin Gaye song added to Cahoots as a bonus)
- King Harvest (Has Surely Come) – 4:04 (The Band)
- Caledonia Mission – 3:38 (Music From Big Pink)
- Get Up Jake – 3:33 (added to The Band as a bonus)
- The WS Walcott Medicine Show – 3:54 (Stage Fright)
- Stage Fright – 4:38 (Stage Fright)
- The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down – 4:34 (The Band)
- Across the Great Divide – 3:59 (The Band)
- This Wheel’s on Fire – 4:07 (Music From Big Pink)
- Rag Mama Rag – 4:33 (The Band)
- The Weight – 5:32 (Music From Big Pink)
- The Shape I’m In – 4:14 (Stage Fright)
- The Unfaithful Servant – 4:48 (The Band)
- Life Is a Carnival – 4:17 (Cahoots)
- The Genetic Method – 7:48 (keyboard solo including Auld Lang Sine)
- Chest Fever – 5:24 (Music From Big Pink)
- (I Don’t Want to) Hang Up My Rock and Roll Shoes – 4:20 (cover version of a Chuck Willis song)
- Loving You Is Sweeter Than Ever – 3:28 (bonus) (cover version of The Temptations song)
- I Shall Be Released – 4:03 (bonus) (Music From Big Pink)
- Up on Cripple Creek – 4:38 (bonus) (The Band)
- The Rumor – 5:02 (bonus) (Stage Fright)
- Rockin’ Chair – 4:06 (bonus) (The Band)
- Time to Kill – 4:07 (bonus) (Stage Fright)
- Down in the Flood – 5:25 (with Bob Dylan – bonus) (The Basement Tapes)
- When I Paint My Masterpiece – 4:17 (with Bob Dylan – bonus) (Cahoots)
- Don’t Ya Tell Henry – 4:38 (with Bob Dylan – bonus) (The Basement Tapes)
- Like a Rolling Stone – 5:24 (with Bob Dylan – bonus) (Highway 61 Revisited)
Set lists don’t come much better than this with five songs from Music From Big Pink, eight from The Band, five from Stage Fright and four of The Band playing with special guest Bob Dylan just after midnight on January 1st, 1972.
Allen Toussaint was asked to supplement The Band’s traditional sound with horn arrangements and it works amazingly well.
What Other People Say About Rock Of Ages
Buying The Band Rock Of Ages
These links will help you get to the albums quickly and easily but I recommend that you still search for the best deal.
What Do You Think About This Live Album By The Band?
Love it or hate it, leave a comment below and tell the world why.
What Are The Best Live Albums Of All Time?
Please help me find the best live albums by voting in the readers polls. I’ve nominated this great album in two polls to find the best best country rock albums and the best folk and folk rock live albums.
It could have been included in the best classic rock albums poll as well but I feel The Last Waltz is more in the mainstream and I also include Bob Dylan’s Before The Flood with its substantial input from The Band..