The Bootleg Volume 6: Bob Dylan Live 1964 – Concert At Philharmonic Hall is another archive live recording. It was recorded on October 31, 1964 in New York and the studio Another Side of Bob Dylan had been released a couple of months earlier in August.
It follows on from Live 1966 “Royal Albert Hall” and Live 1975 Rolling Thunder Revue.
This time, Bob Dylan is still a solo acoustic folk singer although it includes three songs from the yet to be released Bringing It All Back Home. Dylan was shortly to change popular music forever but we didn’t know it.
Joan Baez provided vocals on Mama, You Been on My Mind, Silver Dagger, With God on Our Side and It Ain’t Me, Babe.
Bob Dylan Live 1964 Concert At Philharmonic Hall
- The Times They Are a-Changin’ – 3:29 (originally from the studio album The Times They Are a-Changin’)
- Spanish Harlem Incident – 3:07 (Another Side of Bob Dylan)
Talkin’ John Birch Paranoid Blues – 4:06 (this was recorded in The Freewheelin’ Bob Dylan sessions but didn’t make the album)
- To Ramona – 6:01 (Another Side of Bob Dylan)
- Who Killed Davey Moore? – 4:46 (this was a popular live song but it didn’t make any of the albums until Bootlegs 1 to 3 was released)
- Gates of Eden – 8:32 (a preview of the song yet to appear on Bringing It All Back Home)
- If You Gotta Go, Go Now (Or Else You Got to Stay All Night) – 4:06 (it was recorded in the Bringing It All Back Home sessions but not released. Mannfred Mann had a #2 UK hit with it in 1965)
- It’s Alright, Ma (I’m Only Bleeding) – 11:26 (Bringing It All Back Home)
- I Don’t Believe You (She Acts Like We Never Have Met) – 4:01 (Another Side of Bob Dylan)
- Mr. Tambourine Man – 6:33 (Bringing It All Back Home)
- A Hard Rain’s a-Gonna Fall – 7:44 (The Freewheelin’ Bob Dylan)
- Talkin’ World War III Blues – 5:52
- Don’t Think Twice, It’s All Right – 4:34 (The Freewheelin’ Bob Dylan)
- The Lonesome Death of Hattie Carroll – 6:57 (The Times They Are a-Changin’)
- Mama, You Been on My Mind – 3:35 (recorded for Another Side of Bob Dylan but it didn’t make it.
- Silver Dagger (Traditional) – 3:47 (first sung by Joan Baez in 1960)
- With God on Our Side – 6:17 (The Times They Are a-Changin’)
- It Ain’t Me, Babe – 5:11 (Another Side of Bob Dylan)
- All I Really Want to Do – 4:01 (Another Side of Bob Dylan)
What Other People Say
Buying The Bootleg Volume 6: Bob Dylan Live 1964 – Concert At Philharmonic Hall
To help you to find the album quickly and easily, I’ve given you the following links::
- Amazon.com as a CD or mp3
- Amazon.co.uk as a CD or mp3
- iTunes as a digital download
- eBay as a CD
What Do You Think?
Once upon a time, there used to be a shortage of live Bob Dylan albums but not any more.
They are usually interesting and different. I’ve built up quite a collection.
But which one or ones are the best? Which should a casual Dylan fan who likes listening to live music buy? This will appeal to those who like their Dylan to be acoustic rather than electric.
Fortunately I’ve got a Bob Dylan live albums poll and the results are interesting.
What Are The Best Live Albums Of All Time?
How does this album compare to the best live albums from singer-songwriters? I’ve also included it in the poll to find the best folk and folk rock live albums.
I can’t have a meaningful conversation with my mother at the moment.
My aim is to help you to find the best live albums through readers polls, my own reviews and from bringing in Amazon reviews.
You can see the complete list of readers polls at Live Album Polls.
What Else Was Happening In This Year?
Click on the links to see what other live albums were recorded in 1964.