Classics Live is a live album by John Martyn.
It is also a re-release by the Full Fill label of John Martyn Live from a concert in London in 1990. The concert has also been released as Dirty, Down & Live: Shaw Theatre London.
One of the things that makes this album special, is an appearance by Pink Floyd’s guitarist Dave Gilmour (on John Wayne and Looking At That Girl).
Average Amazon Customer Rating – %%AVERAGERATING%% Stars
Songs On John Martyn Classics Live
1. Easy Blues – 3:08 (originally on the studio album Solid Air)
2. May You Never – 4:21 (Solid Air)
3. Dealer – 6:28 (One World)
4. Outside In – 6:13 (Inside Out)
5. Never Let Me Go – 4:09 (Well Kept Secret)
6. Sapphire – 4:35 (Sapphire)
7. Could Not Love You More – 5:13 (One World)
8. Deny This Love – 5:20 (The Apprentice)
9. Fishermans Dream – 4:45 (Sapphire)
10. Big Muff – 8:24 (One World)
11. Angeline – 6:00 (Piece By Piece)
12. Sweet Little Mystery – 5:59 (Grace And Danger)
1. The River – 5:20 (The Apprentice)
2. Income Town – 5:38 (The Apprentice)
3. The Apprentice – 5:15 (The Apprentice)
4. John Wayne – 10:48 (Piece By Piece)
5. Look at That Girl – 6:39 (The Apprentice)
6. Looking On – 10:41 (The Apprentice)
7. Johnny Too Bad – 14:43 (Grace And Danger)
8. One World – 7:45 (One World)
Giving an album the title of Classics Live, you expect to find a “greatest hits/best of” version but in 1990, John Martyn was promoting his latest album, The Apprentice and we have six tracks from it.
On that theme, probably his three most critically praised studio albums are Solid Air (two tracks), One World (four tracks) and Grace And Danger (two tracks).
It probably doesn’t live up to these expectations. That said, when I heard it, I knew it was an album that I had to own.
This is a smooth, relaxed John Martyn with his band supplemented with a saxophone player.
Buying John Martyn Classics Live
These links will help you get to the albums quickly and easily but I recommend that you still search for the best deal.
What Do You Think?
Is this a great live album?
Is it the best live album by John Martyn? Which do you recommend?
The Best Live Albums Of All Time
Please vote in my poll to find the best live albums by singer-songwriters.
Because there are so many excellent singer-songwriter albums with very different styles, I have split the poll into two and you may find some of your favourites in the second division. Albums will be promoted when they get enough votes.
You can see the complete list of readers polls at Live Album Polls