R.E.M. Live At Muziekcentrum Vredenburg is a live in concert recording of R.E.M. that’s available with the 25th Anniversary Edition of Document.
It was recorded in Utrecht in the Netherlands on September 14, 1987, about two weeks after the Document studio album had been released.
Average Amazon Customer Rating – %%AVERAGERATING%% Stars
These ratings are inflated by the normal; studio version of the album.
Songs On R.E.M. Live At Muziekcentrum Vredenburg 1987
Because the Document studio album is well known because of the success of The One I Love, I’ll just tell you the live tracks available.
- Finest Worksong – 4:09 (originally on the studio album Document)
- These Days – 3:35 (Lifes Rich Pageant)
- Lightnin’ Hopkins – 3:43 (Document)
- Welcome to the Occupation – 2:53 (Document)
- Driver 8 – 3:35 (Fables of the Reconstruction)
- Feeling Gravitys Pull – 5:31 (Fables of the Reconstruction)
- I Believe – 4:32 (Lifes Rich Pageant)
- The One I Love – 3:20 (Document)
- Exhuming McCarthy – 3:22 (Document)
- Wolves, Lower – 4:23 (from the Chronic Town EP)
- Fall On Me – 3:05 (Lifes Rich Pageant)
- Just a Touch – 3:04 (Lifes Rich Pageant)
- Oddfellows Local 151 – 5:01 (Document)
- Little America – 2:49 (Reckoning)
- It’s the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine) – 4:01 (Document)
- Begin the Begin – 3:57 (Lifes Rich Pageant)
- Disturbance At the Heron House – 3:41 (Document)
- Moral Kiosk – 3:02 (Murmer)
- Life and How to Live It – 6:28 (Fables of the Reconstruction)
- So. Central Rain – 5:19 (Reckoning)
With eight songs off Document and five from Lifes Rich Pageant, this live recording gives us a very clear indication of how the REM sound was progressing.
By this stage, the band were very experienced and confident playing live but the venue is still relatively small (maximum capacity 5,000 people).
After years of being starved of official live recordings, R.E.M. have included live recording bonuses with other studio albums – a 1983 show with Murmur, a 1984 show with Reckoning and a 1989 show with Green. I’d like to think that they’ll continue with this policy.
Which are essential?
Well I had ignored REM in their early days but the singles from Document had gained my attention and Green was the first of their albums that I bought. My bias therefore is for this middle period from 1987 to 1992 when they took on the world and won.
Buying R.E.M. Live At Muziekcentrum Vredenburg 1987
These links will help you get to the albums quickly and easily but I recommend that you still search for the best deal.
What Do You Think?
Is this a great live album?
Is it the best live recording by REM?
What Are The Best Live Albums Of All Time?
By this stage R.E.M. were getting better known but I’m still treating them as an alternative rock band rather than classic rock.
Please vote in my poll to find the best indie and alternative rock live albums.
Because this is such a big category and there are so many very good indie and alternative rock live albums, I have split the poll into two and you may find some of your favourites in the second division. Albums will be promoted when they get enough votes.Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.
You may also be interested in the poll to find the best new wave and punk rock live albums.
You can see the complete list of readers polls at Live Album Polls.