Seguendo Le Tracce is a live album recorded by Italian prog rock giants Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso in Salerno, Italy in April 1975.
About ten years ago I went through a phase where my interest in progressive rock went sky high. Powered by the new information that was available to me from the Internet, i discovered great Italian prog rock bands like Banco Del Mutuo Soccorco.
They recorded three of the very best prog rock albums, right of up there with Close To The Edge (Yes) and Foxtrot (Genesis) – Banco del Mutuo Soccorso, Darwin! and Io Sono Nato Libero.
Because the lyrics are in Italian, I don’t have a clue what they are singing about but it’s never really concerned me as I’m swept along by the music.
You can find out more about Banco at ProgArchives, a very specialist prog rock website. When I became addicted, the influence of the Italian groups was much higher on this website but I guess more mainstream fans have found it.
Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso Seguendo Le Tracce
- R.I.P. (English Version) – 8:58 (originally from the studio album Banco del Mutuo Soccorso) (rest in peace)
- L’Albero Del Pane – 5:01 (Banco)
- La Danza Dei Grandi Rettili – 11:31 (Darwin!) (it means Dance of the Big Reptiles)
- Passaggio – 0:50
- Non Mi Rompete – 6:03 (Io Sono Nato Libero) (it means Don’t bother me)
- Dopo Niente E’ Piu’ Lo Stesso – 12:36 (Io Sono Nato Libero) (it means Then… nothing is still the same)
- Traccia Ii – 3:27 (Io Sono Nato Libero) (a rather boring title of Track 2)
- Metamorfosi – 26:15 (Banco del Mutuo Soccorso) (which means Metamorphosis but you probably guessed that)
If you’ve wanted to hear Banco live from when they wee young, this is the album to get. later in the seventies they changed their sound to try to incorporate a disco beat. prog disco, the mind shudders.
The following were members of Banco del Mutuo Soccorso
- Francesco Di Giacomo – vocals
- Gianni Nocenzi – piano, electric piano, clarinet
- Vittorio Nocenzi – keyboards
- Rodolfo Maltese – guitars and trumpet
- Roberto D’Angelo – bass guitar
- Pierluigi Calderoni – drums and percussions
Here is the 2012 version of Banco performing one of the songs from this album, RIP. I don’t like to jump 30 to 40 years like this but there aren’t many videos of Banco Del Mutuo Soccorco on YouTube.
What Other People Say About Seguendo Le Tracce
The British music press have been reluctant to show much interest in the Italian prog rock scene and I suspect a similar situation with the American press. I haven’t seen this in any great live albums lists. It didn’t help by taking 30 years to release the recordings.
The few reviewers at Amazon like it.
Buying This Live Album
To help you to find the album quickly and easily, I’ve given you the following links:
- Amazon.com as a CD
- Amazon.co.uk as a CD
- iTunes as a digital download
- eBay as a CD
If you love prog rock and you want to explore what was happening outside the British big prog rock groups of the 1970s with Pink Floyd, Yes, Genesis, King Crimson, Van Der Graaf Generator and similar bands, then I recommend you spend time with the big Italian groups like Banco and PFM.
What Do You Think About This Live Album By Banco Del Mutuo Soccorco?
Do you think this is their best live album or do you prefer one of the others?
What Are the Best Prog Rock Live Albums?
I have nominated Seguendo Le Tracce in my poll to find out the greatest live prog rock albums ever.
I don’t expect Banco to win it because so few people will have heard it but I do expect it to gain a few votes (like Solar Music Live) from those people who want to look beyond Yessongs and Seconds Out.
Because there are so many great progressive rock live albums I have split the poll into two and you may find some of your favourites in the second division. Albums will be promoted when they get enough votes.Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.
You can get these albums from Amazon.com – Amazon.co.uk.