More Guitar is a live album by Richard Thompson which was recorded at two concerts in Washington DC in November 1988. His Amnesia studio album was released the previous month.
As the name suggests, the emphasis is on Thompson’s prowess with the electric guitar although I should emphasise that it’s always within the structure of the songs and it doesn’t turn into the excess that you might hear on heavy rock albums.
Richard Thompson More Guitar Review
- Don’t Tempt Me – 5:30 (originally from the studio album Amnesia)
- Can’t Win – 9:03 (Amnesia)
- Jennie – 6:06 (Daring Adventures)
- Gypsy Love Songs – 6:51 (Amnesia)
- The Angels Took My Racehorse Away – 5:07 (Henry The Human Fly)
- When The Spell Is Broken – 7:59 (Across A Crowded Room)
- Shoot Out The Lights – 5:37 (from the album Shoot Out The Lights)
- I Still Dream – 5:17 (Amnesia)
- Here Without You – 3:46 9cover of a song written by Gene Clark)
- A Bone Through Her Nose – 6:23 (Daring Adventures)
- We Got To Get Out Of This Place – 7:41 (cover of the Animals song)
- Jerusalem On The Jukebox – 8:11 (Amnesia)
Five tracks from Amnesia make it a good tour summary and there’s a varied selection from his previous albums. Can’t Win is extended by 3 1/2 minutes and Jerusalem On The Jukebox has four minutes added as Thompson cuts loose.
The band on this recording consisted of:
- Richard Thompson – electric guitar, acoustic guitar and vocals
- Clive Gregson – electric guitar, acoustic guitar, backing vocals and electric organ
- John Kirkpatrick – accordion, backing vocals
- Pat Donaldson – bass guitar
- Kenny Aronoff – drums
- Christine Collister – backing vocals
What Other People Say
Buying More Guitar
To help you to find the album quickly and easily, I’ve given you the following links::
- Amazon.com as a CD or mp3
- Amazon.co.uk as a CD or mp3
- iTunes as a digital download
- eBay as a CD
Is This The Best Richard Thompson Live Album?
To help readers to find the best live albums, I ask people to vote in specialist polls.
If you’ve got a comment to make on the poll results, I’d prefer it if you could make it on the Best Richard Thompson Live Album page rather than this one about More Guitars, unless of course you think this album is the best.
What Are The Best Live Albums Ever Recorded?
Because there are so many good live albums by singer-songwriters, I have a second division poll where your votes will promote an album.
You might also be interested in the poll results for the following artists – Bob Dylan, Bruce Springsteen, Eric Clapton, Neil Young,