As well as brief details about the live albums of Barclay James Harvest, this page also includes a readers poll where you can vote for their best live album and see the poll results so far.
Background Details Of Barclay James Harvest
Back in the 1970s Barclay James Harvest produced some classy music that was on the border between progressive rock and art rock with studio albums including Everyone Is Everybody Else (1974), Time Honoured Ghosts (1975), Octoberon (1976) and Gone to Earth (1977).
Ironically, they even recorded a song called Poor Man’s Moody Blues because that’s who they probably most resemble.
They’ve also produced plenty of live albums including two spin-off groups – John Lees’ Barclay James Harvest and Barclay James Harvest featuring Les Holroyd (Lees was the guitarist and Holroyd the bassist in the original group).
The Live Albums Of Barclay James Harvest
The following live albums have been released under the Barclay James Harvest name:
- Live – recorded on June 30th, 1974 at the Theatre Royal, Drury Lane, London, and 31st August, 1974, at the Liverpool Stadium and released in November 1974.
- Live Tapes – recorded in October 1976 and October/November 1977 and released in June 1978.
- Berlin – A Concert for the People – recorded on Saturday, August 30th, 1980 next to the Berlin Wall and released in July 1982.
- Glasnost – recorded on July 14th, 1987 at Treptower Park, East Berlin and released in April 1988.
- BBC in Concert 1972 – released in 2002
- After The Day The Radio Broadcasts 1974–1976 – released in 2008
- 25th Anniversary Concert, Live At The Town & Country Club, London 1992 – released in 2012
The following albums have been released under the John Lees’ Barclay James Harvest banner:
- Revival Live 1999 – Through the Eyes of John Lees – released in 2000.
- Legacy, Live at the Shepherds Bush Empire, London 2006 – released in 2007.
- High Voltage, Recorded Live – July 23rd 2011.
- Recorded Live In Concert At Metropolis Studios, London – recorded in December 2010.
The following albums have been released under the name Barclay James Harvest featuring Les Holroyd:
- Live in Bonn – recorded at the Bad Godesberg Stadthalle, Germany on 30th October 2002 and released in 2003.
- Classic Meets Rock (with Prague Philharmonic Orchestra) – Recorded live at Galaxie, Amnéville, France on 6th April 2006 and released later in 2006
With the greatest respect to the artists, this means that there is a great deal of clutter to anyone who wants to buy one or two live recordings of Barclay James Harvest, either to supplement the studio albums or in preference to them.
That’s where the readers poll comes in.
What Are The Best Barclay James Harvest Live Albums?
You can vote for up to two albums. I see a vote as a personal recommendation and I realise that you probably haven’t heard all these so please vote if you would recommend any of those that you have heard.
Do You Agree With the Other Readers? Have They Correctly Identified The Best Barclay James Harvest Live Albums?
If you don’t agree with the poll, leave a comment and explain why.
You May Also Want To Vote In These Music Genre Polls
At the start, I said I saw Barclay James Harvest on the border of progressive rock and art rock so you may find some of these albums to your tastes.