American Poet is a live album by Lou Reed.
It was recorded at the Hempstead Theatre in New York on Boxing Day, 26 December 1972.
Average Amazon Customer Rating – %%AVERAGERATING%% Stars From %%REVIEWCOUNT%% Reviews
Songs On Lou Reed American Poet
- White Light White Heat – 4:04 (originally on the studio album White Light White Heat by the Velvet Underground)
- Vicious – 3:13 (Transformer)
- I’m Waiting for My Man – 7:14 (The Velvet Underground & Nico)
- Walk It Talk It – 4:04 (Lou Reed)
- Sweet Jane – 4:38 (Loaded by The Velvet Underground)
- Interview with Lou Reed – 5:01
- Heroin – 8:34 (The Velvet Underground & Nico)
- Satellite of Love – 3:28 (Transformer)
- Walk on the Wild Side – 5:55 (Transformer)
- I’m So Free – 3:52 (Transformer)
- Berlin – 6:00 (Berlin)
- Rock ‘n’ Roll – 5:14 (Loaded by The Velvet Underground)
This live recording comes from the Transformer tour so it’s a shame that there aren’t more songs from that well known album beyond the four covered. Instead we have five classics from The Velvet Underground albums, one from his self-titled debut album and a preview of the title track from Berlin. There is also an interview positioned in the middle and I’d have preferred this at the end.
A good performance and more traditional and respectful that the heavy metal Rock ‘n’ Roll Animal style that appeared in 1973.
Buying Lou Reed American Poet
These links will help you get to the albums quickly and easily but I recommend that you still search for the best deal.
What Do You Think?
Is this a great live album?
Is it the best live album by Lou Reed? Which do you recommend?
The Best Live Albums Of All Time
Please vote in my poll to find the best live albums by singer-songwriters.
Because there are so many excellent singer-songwriter albums with very different styles, I have split the poll into two and you may find some of your favourites in the second division. Albums will be promoted when they get enough votes.
You can see the complete list of readers polls at Live Album Polls