Animal Serenade is a live album by Louis Reed.
It was recorded in Los Angeles at the Wiltern Theatre on June 24, 2003 while Reed was touring to promote The Raven studio album.
Average Amazon Customer Rating %%AVERAGERATING%% Stars
Songs On Lou Reed Animal Serenade
1. Advice – 2:07
2. Smalltown – 6:04 (originally on the studio album Songs From Drella)
3. Tell It To Your Heart – 6:03 (Mistrial)
4. Men Of Good Fortune – 4:27 (Berlin)
5. How Do You Think It Feels – 8:09 (Berlin)
6. Vanishing Act – 5:31 (The Raven)
7. Ecstasy – 7:09 (Ecstasy)
8. The Day John Kennedy Died – 4:04 (The Blue Mask)
9. Street Hassle – 6:59 (Street Hassle)
10. The Bed – 5:15 (Berlin)
11. Revien Cherie – 7:12
12. Venus In Furs – 10:02 (The Velvet Underground & Nico)
13. Dirty Blvd. – 6:54 (New York)
14. Sunday Morning – 5:04 (The Velvet Underground & Nico)
15. All Tomorrow’s Parties – 6:18 (The Velvet Underground & Nico)
16. Call On Me – 2:45 (The Raven)
17. The Raven – 9:33 (The Raven)
18. Set The Twilight Reeling – 9:08 (Set The Twilight Reeling)
19. Candy Says – 6:04 (The Velvet Underground)
20. Heroin – 9:111 (The Velvet Underground & Nico)
The legend has it that Lou Reed was at his best in the late 1960s and the 1970s but this album challenges that view. It is also blessed with a really interesting set list with anything from Transformer or The Velvet Underground staples like Sweet Jane, Rock & Roll, I’m Waiting For The Man and White Light White Heat. He doesn;t ignore the Velvets but dusts down several of the other well known songs.
The cello played by Jane Scarpantoni gives the album a unique atmosphere. This time the band is trying to be as noisy as possible but instead, the sound has a sparseness that creates an intriguing tension. A burst of guitar solo is even more dramatic when it happens. This demonstrates the way that Reed is such an intriguing live artists and why his live albums can be essential.
Playing on the album are:
- Lou Reed: vocals, electric & acoustic guitar
- Mike Rathke: electric & acoustic guitar, synthesizers
- Fernando Saunders: electric & acoustic bass, drums, guitar, vocals on “Tell It to Your Heart” & “Reviens Cherie”, scat on “Sunday Morning”
- Jane Scarpantoni: cello
- Antony Hegarty: vocals on “Call on Me”, “Set the Twilight Reeling” & “Candy Says”, backing vocals
If you click on the Amazon reviews, please use Right Click – Open Link In New Tab because it is hard to get back to this page.
Buying Lou Reed Animal Serenade
These links will help you get to the albums quickly and easily but I recommend that you still search for the best deal.
What Do You Think?
Is this a great live album?
Is it the best live album by Lou Reed? Which do you recommend?
The Best Live Albums Of All Time
Please vote in the poll to find the best classic rock live albums.
Because there are so many excellent classic rock live albums I have split the poll into two and you may find some of your favourites in the second division. Albums will be promoted when they get enough votes.
You can see the complete list of readers polls at Live Album Polls.