Ummagumma is the first Pink Floyd live album recorded in 1969 with early psychedelic space rock classics.
It was a double LP with one LP live and the other recorded in the studio and featuring compositions by the individual members of the group. Only one song, Grantchester Meadows is really worthwhile.
Pink Floyd Ummagumma Live 1969
The Live Album
- Astronomy Domine – 8:29 (originally from the album The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn)
- Careful with That Axe, Eugene – 8:50 (originally the B side of a Pink Floyd single Point me At The Sky – I remember buying it in a rare visit to London)
- Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun – 9:12 (A Saucerful of Secrets)
- A Saucerful of Secrets – 12:48 A Saucerful of Secrets
The Studio Album (it wasn’t the best idea to ask each of them to come up with about ten minutes of music)
- Sysyphus (Wright) – 12:59
- Grantchester Meadows (Waters) – 7:19
- Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict (Waters) – 5:01
- The Narrow Way (Gilmour) – 12:17
- The Grand Vizier’s Garden Party” (Mason/Ron Geesin) – 8:44
Very impressive performance of their early space rock style with more drive than the studio versions.
Here is a video of Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun taken from the Live At Pompeii performance in 1972.
What Other People Say About Ummagumma
These links will help you get to the albums quickly and easily but I recommend that you still search for the best deal.
What Do You Think About Ummagumma?
I’m interested to know what you think about this album and in particular the live tracks.
They are not as famous as the later tracks but do you think that Pink Floyd should have retained them in their live sets? I thought it was nice to see Astronomy Domine appear on Pulse.
What Are The Best Live Albums Ever?
Please help me to find the best live albums by voting in the readers polls:
Because there are so many great progressive rock live albums I have split the poll into two and you may find some of your favourites in the second division. Albums will be promoted when they get enough votes.Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.
Links To Other Pink Floyd Live Albums
- 1981 – Is There Anybody Out There
- 1988 – Delicate Sound Of Thunder – review rating 20/30
- 1995 – Pulse – review rating 22/30
If You Like This…
What Else Was Happening In This Year?
Click on the links to see what other live albums were recorded in 1969.