Back It Up Live ’85 is a recording of a live radio broadcast by Nils Lofgren in concert.
It was recorded at The Stone Pony in Asbury Park, New Jersey on 1 November 1985 during the tour to promote the Flip studio album and is released on the Echoes label. It is not to be confused with the similarly titled Back It Up Official Bootleg from 1975.
Average Amazon Customer Rating – %%AVERAGERATING%% Stars
Songs On Nils Lofgren Back It Up Live ’85
- Introduction – 0:57
- Beggars Day – 5:05 (originally from Grin’s Gone Crazy album)
- Secrets In The Street – 5:51 (Flip)
- Dream Die Hard – 4:29 (Flip)
- Little Bit O’ Time – 2:52
- The Sun Hasn’t Set On This Boy Yet – 3:24 (Nils Lofgren)
- Code Of The Road – 10:26 (I Came To Dance)
- Rock And Roll Crook – 3:26 (Nils Lofgren)
- Cry Tough – 6:55 (Cry Tough)
- New Holes In Old Shoes – 5:31 (Flip)
- No Mercy – 6:13 (Nils)
- Big Tears Fall – 6:09 (Flip)
- Any Time At All – 3:33
- Empty Heart – 8:29
- Like Rain – 5:23 (From Grin’s first album called Grin)
- Moon Tears – 3:38 (Grin’s 1+1 album)
- Sweet Midnight – 9:02 (Flip)
- Flip Ya Flip – 5:34 (Flip)
- I Don’t Want To Talk About It – 5:05 (cover of the Crazy Horse song)
- Back It Up – 4:01 (Nils Lofgren)
- Shine Silently – 12:13 (Nils)
- I Came To Dance – 7:49 (I Came To Dance)
- Outro – Station ID – 1:30
Six songs from the studio album the band were promoting Flip and a collection of previous career highlights going back to Grin and Crazy Horse make this a nice set to hear.
This is a copy of the broadcast on the radio so you get to hear the DJ’s introduction at the start and summary at the end together with any other comments made during the concert. I’d much prefer they weren’t there.
This is very much Lofgren still in guitar hero mode which takes the emphasis away from his more fragile voice. I can understand his voice putting some people off but I like it.
There are a lot of live recordings available from Nils Lofgren and that makes it tough to choose one or two to sum up a career. The readers poll below may disagree but I don’t think that there’s one outstanding live album that is a must-have.
Buying Nils Lofgren Back It Up Live ’85
These radio broadcasts are released in Europe because the copyright laws lapse on radio broadcasts after a certain period of time.
These links will help you get to the albums quickly and easily but I recommend that you still search for the best deal.
What Do You Think?
Is this a great live album?
Is it the best live album by Nils Lofgren? Which do you recommend?
The Best Live Albums Of All Time
Please vote in the poll to find the best classic rock live albums.
Because there are so many excellent classic rock live albums I have split the poll into two and you may find some of your favourites in the second division. Albums will be promoted when they get enough votes.
You can see the complete list of readers polls at Live Album Polls.