The latest archive live recording released by http://live.brucespringsteen.net is the concert performed at Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum in Uniondale, New York on December 31, 1980.
At last we have an authorised live album from the tour promoting The River and after remastering in March 2015 by Adam Ayan, it sounds terrific.
After the Agora, Clevland concert from 1978 was released, this was next on my wanted list of live albums by Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band.
I’ve always seen The River in the second tier of Springsteen albums. It’s very good but it doesn’t match the greatness of Darkness On The Edge Of Town, Born To Run or The Wild, the Innocent & the E Street Shuffle. To be fair, in the history of rock music, few albums reach that pinnacle.
Songs On Bruce Springsteen Nassau Coliseum Uniondale New York 1980
1. Night – 3:25 (Born to Run)
2. Prove It All Night – 5:57 (Darkness On The Edge Of Town)
3. Spirit In The Night – 7:42 (Greetings from Asbury Park, N.J.)
4. Darkness On The Edge Of Town – 4:48 (Darkness On The Edge Of Town)
5. Independence Day – 5:30 (The River)
6. Who’ll Stop The Rain? – 5:56
7. This Land is Your Land – 3:19
8. Promised Land – 5:55 (Darkness On The Edge Of Town)
9. Out in the Street – 5:25 (The River)
10. Racing in the Street – 8:22 (Darkness On The Edge Of Town)
11. The River – 6:56 (The River)
12. Badlands – 5:41 (Darkness On The Edge Of Town)
13. Thunder Road – 7:05 (Born to Run)
1. Cadillac Ranch – 5:02 (The River)
2. Sherry Darling – 5:15 (The River)
3. Hungry Heart – 4:48 (The River)
4. Merry Christmas, Baby – 4:50
5. Fire – 4:32 (later to appear on The Promise)
6. Candy’s Room – 3:23 (Darkness On The Edge Of Town)
7. Because the Night – 8:38 (later to appear on The Promise)
8. 4th of July, Asbury Park (Sandy) – 6:47 (The Wild, the Innocent & the E Street Shuffle)
9. Rendezvous – 3:27 (later to appear on The Promise)
10. Fade Away – 9:23 (The River)
11. The Price You Pay – 6:37 (The River)
12. Wreck on the Highway – 5:36 (The River)
13. Two Hearts – 2:50 (The River)
14. Ramrod – 4:39 (The River)
15. You Can Look (But You Better Not Touch) – 4:39 (The River)
16. Held Up Without A Gun – 1:42 (the B-side of the Hungry Heart single)
17. In the Midnight Hour – 2:55
18. Auld Lang Syne – 2:03
19. Rosalita (Come Out Tonight) – 16:19 (The Wild, the Innocent & the E Street Shuffle)
1. Santa Claus Is Coming To Town – 5:23
2. Jungleland – 12:23 (Born to Run)
3. Born to Run – 4:38 (Born to Run)
4. Detroit Medley – 13:07
5. Twist and Shout – 8:00
6. Raise Your Hand – 4:44
What a collection of songs! It’s also a marathon.
Twelve songs from the 1980 release, The River, six from 1978’s Darkness On The Edge Of Town, three out-takes from the Darkness recording sessions that would later appear on The Promise, four songs from Born To Run, some of the classics from the first two albums, two Christmas songs and a terrific collection of covers.
Did Springsteen and the E Street band ever play a bad concert? They are terrific on this night and sound really confident and tight. The sound quality is also excellent.
The mark of any great live album is to leave you thinking ” I wish I was there.” It was a fantastic New Year’s Eve party and I wish I’d been there.
We’ve had some live songs from this tour appear on Live 1975-1985 and if you think you’re overlapping, you’re correct in think that some came from the Nassau Coliseum but they are from the December 28th and 29th shows.
Highly recommended to anyone who likes Bruce Springsteen. This is not a recording that’s just suitable to fanatics. He’s added another album that’s going to appear near the top of my favourites although it’s not quite up to the 1975 or 1978 standards.
If you want even more from 1980, Springsteen has released a ten song live recording from November 5 at Arizona State University which is available for free download as an mp3 at the moment. Some songs are repeated but Factory, The Ties That Bind, Stolen Car, Point Blank and Backstreets are not on the Uniondale album.
Buying Bruce Springsteen Nassau Coliseum Uniondale New York 1980
It’s available in various formats from…
CD versions are due for shipment on April 25, 2015.
What Do You Think?
Is this a great live album?
Is it the best live album by Bruce Springsteen? Which do you recommend?
The Best Live Albums Of All Time
Please vote in the poll to find the best classic rock live albums.
Because there are so many excellent classic rock live albums I have split the poll into two and you may find some of your favourites in the second division. Albums will be promoted when they get enough votes.
You can see the complete list of readers polls at Live Album Polls