First Time Live is a live album by Tommy Bolin (ex James Gang and Deep Purple) recorded in April 1976 at the La Paloma Theater, in Encinitas, California.
This is Tommy Bolin after he’d left Deep Purple and returned to promoting his great album Teaser.
The two sets played were originally recorded by the KBG-FM radio station and can be bought separately as mp3 downloads from Amazon.
Tommy Bolin First Time Live
The Tommy Bolin Band played the same set list in the two concerts that have been recorded.
- Teaser – 5:48 (Set 1) & 5:51 (Set 2) (On the album Teaser track 5 – 4:26)
- People People – 7:00 (Set 1) & 8:11 (Set 2) (Teaser track 6- 4:56)
- The Grind – 5:32 (Set 1) & 3:11 (Set 2) (Teaser track 1 – 3:29)
- Wild Dogs – 7:21 (Set 1) & 7:45 (Set 2) (Teaser track 8 – 4:40)
- Delightful – 6:15 (Set 1) & 5:35 (Set 2) (a Narada Michael Walden song)
- I Fell In Love – 4:50 (Set 1) & 5:20 (Set 2) (a Mark Stein song)
- Marching Powder – 8:46 (Set 1) & 9:40 (Set 2) (Teaser track 7 – 4:14)
- Lotus – 6:25 (Set 1) & 6:21 (Set 2) (Teaser track 8 – 3:57)
- Homeward Strut – 7:10 (Set 1) & 7:50 (Set 2) (Teaser track 2 – 3:57)
I can’t pass judgement on the relative merits of the two performances but based on listening to the samples at Amazon, I bought set 2.
My logic was a bit vague but I thought that the second public performance by the new Tommy Bolin Band would be better than the first.
Missing from Teaser are track 3, Dreamer and track 4 Savannah Woman.
What I can tell you is that is that set 2 is a very good concert if you like your rock music melodic with soulful jazz influences. Avoid if you only like heavy metal. This sounds nothing like the Deep Purple of On the Wings Of A Russian Foxbat.
If you’ve read many of my reviews, you’ll know that I like sax in my rock and it’s provided by Norma Jean Bell and contrasts very nicely Bolin’s guitar leads.
The band for these concerts were:
Tommy Bolin – guitar and vocals
Norma Jean Bell – saxophone and vocals
Mark Stein – keyboards and vocals (lead vocal on I Fell In Love)
Reggie McBride – bass
Narada Michael Walden – drums and vocals (lead vocal on Delightful)
What Other People Say
Buying Tommy Bolin First Time Live
These links will help you get to the albums quickly and easily but I recommend that you still search for the best deal.
What Do You Think?
Love it or hate it? Leave a comment and tell the world why.
Is this the best live album by Tommy Bolin?
Tommy Bolin is included in my poll to find the best live album by the members of Deep Purple (marks 2 to 4).
Other Tommy Bolin Live Albums
- 1975 – Deep Purple This Time Around
- 1976 – Deep Purple On The Wings Of A Russian Foxbat
- 1976 – Tommy Bolin First Time Live
- 1976 – Tommy Bolin Live In Albany NY – this is the page you are on.
If you want to know more about the man and his music, watch the Tommy Bolin documentary.
What Are The Best Live Albums Of All Time?
Please help me find the best live albums by voting in the readers polls.
Because there are so many excellent classic rock live albums I have split the poll into two and you may find some of your favourites in the second division. Albums will be promoted when they get enough votes.
You may be interested in the polls for other classic rock artists like Bad Company – The Beach Boys – The Beatles (group & solo) – Dave Matthews Band – David Bowie – Dire Straits – Bob Dylan – Elton John – Fleetwood Mac – Jethro Tull – Pink Floyd – Queen – Rush – Sting & The Police – The Rolling Stones – Bruce Springsteen – Thin Lizzy – U2 – The Who – Wishbone Ash – Neil Young –
You can see the complete list of readers polls at Live Album Polls